Friday, June 22, 2007

The Unlikely Detective (Part 2)

My dad managed to make it through his clearance code, and began to speak on the line. “Hello Harvey? Patch me through to Misguise, your not going to believe this but I think my daughter just inadvertently figured out what the next target on our perpetrators list is.”

There was a moment’s pause, quickly followed by murmuring in Texan. “Of course it was an accident. How else would you explain it? Unless of course,(and I shudder to think) she can suddenly read minds like her mother.”

Whoa. Hold the phone. My mom: Kerrie Andrews can read minds?! What did my parents do for a living?! I strained to hear more. “Heh, your right, she isn’t even the right age for that stuff to come up. Besides she was tested for it, all signs say negative. Yeah, I know its odd that she wanted to come hear after…no she’d need super hearing for…Christ Harvey just get me through before…”

The wind picked up and just then my face connected with the ground hard breaking my nose, and sending blood onto the floor. I tried to get up but something was holding me to the ground and I felt a sharp blade being pressed against my neck. My ears rang terribly, and my stomach lurched in pain as my eyes began to tear. So much pain….couldn’t focus…dad…

Soon a low velvety voice cut through my thoughts, “I believe congratulations are in order.” I tied to look up, but I was held firmly in place in the small pool of my blood that formed on the floor. “American adults are all the same. Always so astonished when their own children can do what they cannot. That is where they fail, and regrettably…” My head was pulled up violently to be greeted by a female face. One that was both contained an exotic beauty from Japan, and a deathly cold of a viper. “Their children are the ones who suffer for it. Never once did your father even mention that there were other interested parties?”

“I guess you weren’t worth mentioning.” I managed growl. I felt a sharp kick being delivered into my ribs as I was spun onto my back.

“Normally that would have been your life, but you don’t have much of one as it stands," she withdrew my dads phone, and to my horror it was covered with blood. "In more ways then you realize."

With that she shouted something in her native lanaguage, and all...just vanished. Though the ninjas voice still came. "Nobody saw what transpired kid, when asked you will explain how you were mugged and how your dad died trying to save you. and when we'll kill our "mutial fraind" , will let him know that his clan was pathetic enough to be discovered by a little girl."

No comments: