Thursday, June 14, 2007

Yes! I'm On Top!

Yes, yes, I know it sounds dirty but it's true! Although my last "presentation" caused a bit of a controversy among the elders (presentations never...well...ate other presentations before,) but after a time they finally chose a new High Priestess...ME! YES! The initiation ceremony was last night, and, oh my, it was so beautiful! Blue crystal lights illuminated the path to the temple where the former high priestess, Teresa, awaited to pass down the sacred Water Star Pendant, it symbolizes the stars our ancestors used to navigate the oceans, before they settled on our island of Miria.

As I walked up to the main temple, I could feel everyone's eyes on me, but one gaze felt different, like it was burning into my skin. I stole a quick glance and saw that it was my younger sister, Sophia. I don't understand it. Here was the day that my life's goal was finally going to be accomplished, and my sister, of all people, was staring at me with anger! I mean, yes, I know she was going for the same position but she was just too inexperienced, too headstrong. Whenever there was a fight, she would just rush in without thinking of the consequences to her or her teammates. Anyway, I'll just have a talk with her later on.

Ok, back to me. As I stepped up to Teresa, I could tell she was proud of me when a tear rolled down her cheek and settled into one of her wrinkles. My heart started racing as I bowed to her; she removed the pendant from her neck and placed it on mine. When I stood upright, the pendant finally touched my skin. I was taken aback as dozens of whispers flooding my mind. Sounds, images, sensations swirled around me. I saw wars, heard laughter, cries...I felt love. All the memories of past priestesses completely saturated me. I can still feel them. It's not crystal clear though, most of the memories are fuzzy and it takes a certain amount of concentration to access them. I guess it's better this way, I can still keep who I am intact without interference from all those feelings swirling inside of me. But as I regained control, I saw that Teresa had fallen; it seems that when she gave up her power, her life went with it.

That's how the life of a priestess is; you live and die for the greater good. I just hope with all these new developments in my life, I can live up to the expectations that come with my responsibilities. Well, I guess there's only one way to find out! Good luck to me! =D

No comments: