Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Meanwhile In a hospital not to far away...

Come on where was it?
The IV in my hand itched horribly as my hand raced through the nightstand drawer, and finding absent of something very dear to me. In defeat I sighed and tried to get comfortable in my bed. It was my third day at (hospital), and already the smells of antiseptics were threatening to erase the smell of my moms home baked cookies from my heart. The monitors hummed and beeped to a steady rhythm, but they were not the lullabies of the peeper frogs back home. Heh, home; the word kept creeping back into my mind every time. I missed it so much.
“Still looking for your shadow Clio?”
My heart skipped a beat, was a really that ill or could it have been? Almost as if out of dream the curtain flew back and their dressed in his business attire and racing to embrace me was my…
“DAD!!!” I shouted at once while griping him tightly as I could, it had to be a dream it had to be!
“Easy there kiddo, I know how you must feel but I’m here. Though I might not be much longer by the way you’re hugging me.”
I let go as he brushed aside my brown hair, “I guess it must be something they put in the food, because I think that was the strongest hug I’ve ever received from you.”
I could feel the heat in my cheeks, and desperately tried to wipe the tears away. As I did my dad pulled up a chair, casually threw his jacket over it, and opened up “my shadow”; our joke for my favorite book, Peter Pan. The cover was faded and dusty, with numerous pages handing from the spine from constant use. It was kidda funny seeing how aged it appeared when compared to my dad’s flawless modern grooming and apparel. “Wait, is mom-”
“You’re mother is okay with it.” he said firmly with his smile fading slightly.
“Really? But why isn’t-?”
“She understands that we have some catching up to do, that is why she allowed me to read to you tonight. You were on chapter six last time right?”
I couldn’t help but smile, dad always knew how to do the voices right, especially Captain Hook. Though one thing still troubled me.
“Yeah, but dad, can I ask you something?”
“Sure thing Tink.” He replied while flipping through the pages.
“What brings you to the city? Don’t you work for the government in Washington?”
He looked at me, with a weary expression and said, “As luck would have it sweet pea, my work is kind of on the move at the moment. Interestingly enough it took me here and I get to spend some time with you. Waite, your mother said chapter seven come to think about it, figures that she wouldn’t bother to tell me what paragraph.”
Ouch, so much for that hope. I guess their love for me was still the only thing my parents had in common. But it still stings knowing that the two people I cared for still wanted nothing to do with each other, and there nothing that could be done about it. Was there?
My train of thought ended abruptly as an obnoxious ring tone set to the tune of “The Star Spangled Banner” chimed from my dad’s cell phone. Frowning immensely he set down the book, flipped it open frowned some more, looked at me and said, “Sorry sweetie I have take this. James Bond Kindda stuff. I promise to make it short.”
As he stepped outside I closed my eyes, and drowned out the background noise. There was a time when I was eight that being able to here things that when on in my house would make me curl up and hide in a corner, but now it had its advantages. Although it was feint and sounded like it came from quite a distance I could now faintly hear my dad. “Open channel D, clearance blue. This had better be good Misguise, my daughter is ill and the doctors don’t know why. Don’t use that tone with me, she means the world to me, and you had better make it fast. Uh-huh. Hmmm. Uh-huh… Shurkin? Wait, as in the Ninja throwing weapon? Hair gel? What is this culprit some sort of Metro sexual faggot?”
Swear words aside, what in the heck dose my dad do for a living?!
“No, you did the right thing. Keep me posted on further developments, and stay sharp let’s prey that this is the only thing he steals. I also want a DNA sample of that hair ASAP. Yes…and…My apologies for my unprofessional…but its…Now Look! It’s just that…”
My heart froze, somehow in my dread I knew what the next few words would be. “The doctors say its terminal. The time is unspecified, but eventually my only child is going to die."

1 comment: